Participatory Study Series Pamphlets
I Want to Pray!
This prayer tract is available in PDF format and Word document format. You can find our permission to print these pamphlets at the Participatory Study Series index.
This Christian prayer tract is designed to teach basic prayer to beginners. It is designed to be printed on 8 1/2 x 11 paper and folded in three.">
What is prayer?
Prayer is a conversation with God.
- Prayer should be simple (Matthew 6:7)
- Prayer can be private (Matthew 6:6)
- Prayer can be public (Acts 7:59, 60)
- Prayer can include both your needs and those of others (Matthew 6:9-13; James 1:5; 1 John 5:16)
- Prayer comes from our love for God and for one another (1 John 4:7,20)
You don't have to be good enough to pray (Luke 18:9 14)!
You should pray like this:
Our Father in heaven,
Help us to honor your name.
Come and set up your kingdom,
So that everyone on earth will obey you, as you are obeyed in heaven.
Give us our food for today.
Forgive us for doing wrong,
As we forgive others.
Keep us from being tempted
And protect us from evil.
How do I go about praying?
Prayer begins with us realizing that we want to talk to our Father in heaven.
Some basic principles to remember as you pray:
- Ask and you will receive. (Matthew 7:7)
- Our heavenly father may keep wrong things from us for our own good (James 4:1-10).
- God wants to hear us (Isaiah 65:23, 24).
- God wants us to hear Him (Isaiah 66:4).
What if I can't think of anything to say?
- Read your Bible and meditate.
- Find quiet time.
- Listen for God to speak to you.
- Try printed prayers, such as the Lord's prayer (Matthew 6:9-13) or those on the back of this pamphlet.
- Don't be afraid to say what's in your heart-even questions.
What if I'm angry or depressed? Can I still pray?
Yes! Many prayers recorded in the Bible, including the Psalms were
offered in anger or despair (Psalm 22, 1 Kings 19:3-5). Remember, God already knows. He wants you to converse with him and learn and grow. Prayer is not so much about getting things as about learning and growing.
What about answers?
Remember that you are talking with your heavenly father and that He wants what is best for you. He always hears, but He is not always going to do what you say in the time limit you demand. Prayer isn't like an automatic dispenser. It is a discipline that you practice so you can grow.
Can anyone pray? Will God hear?
Anyone can pray. You don't have to be a special person or be good enough. God will hear.
Our LORD, you are true to your promises,
And your word is like silver
Heated seven times in a fiery furnace.
Promises and Scriptures
- Salvation-Acts 2:38,39
- Peace-Psalm 85:8
- Safety-Psalm 46:1,2
- Provision-Matthew 6:31-33
- Temptation-Hebrews 2:18
- Eternal Life-1 John 2:25
- Loneliness-Hebrews 13:5 & Deuteronomy 31:6 & 8
- Justice-Psalm 7:10,11
- Physical & Emotional Protection-Psalm 5:11, 12
- General prayer (Matthew 6:9 13)
- Simple Petition (Luke 18:13)
- Healing (Acts 9:40, 41)
- Healing through Anointing (James 5:16)
- Pray and Work (Nehemiah 4:1 23; 5:1-19; 6:15-17)
- Confession and Repentance (Psalm 51)
- Wisdom (James 1:5-8)
- Blessing (Numbers 6:22-27)
- Worship (Psalm 84)
- Praise (2 Chronicles 20:22)
Participatory Study Series tracts on Christian prayer for further study:
- So You're an Intercessor
The next step after basic prayer is intercessory prayer. This tract teaches those who are new to their calling in intercessory prayer how to get started and work in unity in the body of Christ.
- Self-Defense for Prayer Warriors
When we start to be involved in praying for others we have to take care of our spiritual health. This Christian prayer tract teaches how to do that.
- Prayer Scriptures for Prayer Warriors
One good way to expand your prayer life is through praying the scriptures. This tract adapts a number of scriptures into prayers.
- I Want to be Healed!
Basic healing prayer. What you should do and what you should expect.
- Repentance and Rejoicing
Guilt is a major barrier to a successful prayer life. This tract teaches how to repent and enter into the joy that follows.
We recommend the Contemporary English Version (CEV) for easy reading of the scriptures. Contact Pacesetters Bible School for more information.
From Energion Publications: I Want to Pray!
P. O. Box 841
Gonzalez, FL 32560
Phone: (850) 525-3916
Web: Energion Publications (http://energion.com)
This brochure is available in quantity. Contact Energion Publications for more information.
All scripture quotations taken from the Contemporary English Version, Copyright © 1995 American Bible Society.
Copyright © 2001, Henry E. Neufeld